Disaster Assistance For Individuals


FEMA ASSISTANCE ...FEMA provides assistance with housing needs and non-housing needs. Money is available to rent temporary housing, to repair damage to primary residences that is not covered by insurance, and to replace a primary residence destroyed by the disaster that is not covered by insurance. Money is also available to mitigate serious needs caused by the disaster. Assistance with medical and dental costs, funeral and burial costs, clothing, tools, heating fuel, clean-up items, vehicle repair, and moving and storage expenses associated with the disaster may be available. For more information call 1-800-621-3362 (TTY 1-800-462-7585)

DISASTER UNEMPLOYMENT ASSISTANCE …provides unemployment benefits to individuals who have become unemployed as a result of a presidentially-declared major disaster. Self-employed persons who cannot work as a result of the disaster can also apply for benefits. For more information call 1-877-872-5627 (TTY 1-877-889-5627)

DISASTER SUPPLEMENTAL NUTRITION ASSISTANCE (D-SNAP) …is a food assistance program specifically for disaster survivors following a presidentially-declared disaster. The D-SNAP system operates under a different set of eligibility and benefit delivery requirements than the regular Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). Those who may not ordinarily qualify for SNAP may be eligible for D-SNAP, as the D-SNAP eligibility requirements take into account a household's out-ofpocket disaster-related expenses and count only take-home pay and accessible liquid resources. For more information call 1-866-950-3663

DISASTER LEGAL SERVICES … provides legal assistance to low-income individuals who, prior to or as a result of a disaster, are unable to secure legal services adequate to meet their disaster-related needs. Local lawyers typically provide assistance such as: help with insurance claims for doctor and hospital bills, loss of property, loss of life, etc.; drawing up new wills, powers of attorney and other legal documents lost during the disaster; help with home repair contracts and contractors; advice on problems with landlords. For more information call 1-800-621-3362 (TTY 1-800-462-7585)

IRS DISASTER RELIEF …may allow you to deduct disaster-related losses from your prior year’s tax return. Filing an amended return may allow you to receive an immediate tax refund. For more information, visit www.irs.gov or speak to a tax professional.